To load a CVS file, you must perform these preliminary steps:
- Since the data source is an external Excel file, your first step is checking that the worksheets of the original data do not contain error cells. The columns and the rows shall be properly labelled, since these labels serve as field identification for data elements.
- Next, convert the Excel file into a .csv file.
- Save the file in an appropriate directory that the system should find.
Only then, load the file in the system – proceed as follows:
- Click on the Tools module (1).
- Click on CVS-Loading tab (2) to display its contents.
- Press the Select Files (3) button to open the load form “Choose Files for “Default Batch””.
- To upload a new file: Press the Select files for upload (4) button. The computer directory is shown.
- Click on the file to be selected (5) to highlight it.
- Press Open (6). The “Choose Files for “Default Batch”” data box now includes the selected file (7).
- Press the Start Upload (8) button.
- If there are no problem, the “Choose Files for “Default Batch”” data box shows that the upload has been successfully performed (9) and the file fully (10) transferred.
- Press Close (11) button. The uploaded file (12) is now added to the files at the bottom (13) of the list.
You are now requested to define the attributes of the uploaded file. Proceed as follows:
- Click on the Edit (14) button in the file row. The Columns options for “File name” data box is shown.
- Check the File Name (1) is correct.
- In the Map to (2) selection box, select the Data Element for which this file is intended to.
- In the Columns By (3) selection box, define the data columns as HEADER or CUSTOM (the default is HEADER as with any Excel file)
- If the CVS file is a standard data file, leave the Skip first row (4) select box as in order that the system does not take the first row cells as valuable data.
- The Delimiter (5) default for numbering values is the standard comma, unless you insert another one.
- The Date Format (6) is set as day-month-year for the CVS file latest uploaded version.
- Select the File Encoding (7) language out of the selection box (English as default).
- Select the Employee Code (8) out of the selection box that defines the employee identification (emp_code recommended).
- Select the File Loading Options (9) whenever the file is uploaded for the next time: You can Append It (with a sequential number), Replace it or Replace the Data Element to which it is linked.
- Click on Automatic Loading (10) selection box if you prefer automatic loading every instance that the original file is saved (after update).
- Press the Update (11) button to save the selections in the Files Settings table.
- If all data is set successfully, an approval message is shown in a green banner on the right-hand top side of the screen. Check that all data is inserted properly.